This recipe follows two of my favorite cooking rules...fast and easy (that's what she said). Plus I almost always have all the ingredients in my pantry/fridge. Its a great meal for unexpected company. I will usually double the recipe because it freezes wonderfully. And if that wasn't enough with a little modification you can just throw everything into the slow cooker for even easier dinner prep.
Are you loving this recipe as much as I do yet?
Ham and Potato Chowder
- 4 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 med Onion, chopped
- 4-5 med carrots, sliced
- 4-5 cloves of Garlic, chopped
- 1.5 cups diced Ham
- 4 Tablespoons Flour
- 2 cups milk
- 4 med Potatoes, chopped
- 2 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 Tablespoon Ms. Dash Original seasoning
- 5-6 Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
- 1 cup Peas
- Heat the olive oil in a stock pan.
- Add onions and carrots to oil cook for 4 minutes.
- Then add garlic cook for additional 1 to 2 minute.
- Add Ham and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Mix in flour and cook for a few minutes, then slowly stir in milk until mixture starts to thicken up.
- Stir in chicken stock, potatoes, Ms. Dash and red pepper flakes.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat and cook for 30 minutes on medium heat.
- Add peas and cook and additional 10 minutes.
- Top with Swiss cheese (I was out of Swiss so I used Colby Jack, Swiss is better) and sour cream.
- Be sure to wash vegetables well. I mention this because I once forgot and it let to a gritty dinner.
- After cutting potatoes rinse in cold water to make them less starchy.
Let soup cool and place in large freezer bag. Lay flat in freezer. To reheat place in large sauce pan with a 1/2 cup chicken stock over low heat until it starts to boil. Stir often.
To Cook in Slow Cooker:
Add all the ingredients except Peas, Olive Oil, Flour and Milk to slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-7 hours. In a sauce pan add 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat, once melted add 4 Tablespoons flour and cook for a few minutes. Slowly stir in 2 cups milk until it thickens. Add mixture and peas to slow cooker and cook for another 30 minutes to 1 hour on low.