Tuesday, October 2, 2012

No Preservatives Added

Today's recipe is super super easy and just a little time consuming.

Last year I decided I wanted to plant a vegetable garden. I plant the basics: tomatoes, squash, zucchini, and peppers. And while the peppers didn't do as good as I hoped everything else did amazing. They did so well that we couldn't eat all the vegetables so I did what any great great granddaughters of pioneers would do....I preserved my food.

Unlike my ancestors I froze everything instead of canning but the idea is the same...mostly. I choose to make a tomato sauce with all my tomatoes, and after talking to several friends I came up with an okay recipe. This year we expanded our garden and even more tomatoes and I perfected my tomato sauce recipe.

Tomato Sauce


  • 25 tomatoes of any kind (I used beef steak because that's what we grew this year)
  • 7 yellow onions
  • 1 bulb of garlic
  • 1 bunch of celery
  • 4 green peppers
  • 1 bunch of cilantro
  • 1/2 cup sugar
After washing all your vegetables put them in a blender/food processor until the vegetables reach the desired constancy. I like mine a like bit chunky but it's up to you. You may have to do this a few times, even in my fancy I saw it on an infomercial blender it took some time.

Add all the blended vegetables and sugar to a big pot and cook on a medium heat for 45 mins.

When its finished cooking let cool and preserve it by freezing or canning.

I made 28 cups of sauce which I divided into to 2 cup freezer bags and froze.

The great thing about the recipe is that its super easy to adapt to your families taste. My family loves onions so I of course added a lot of them to the sauce. But if my mom was making it she would leave out the cilantro because she is not a fan.

I have already used the sauce for homemade tomato soup (Thursday's recipe) and I will substitute for any recipe that calls for canned tomato sauce.

If you like it share it

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...