Thursday, October 4, 2012

I Made Tomato Sauce...Now What?

I have always loved tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. Its one of my top 10 favorite meals.

I could seriously eat it every day. 

Recently when I decided to eat less food that came from cans I had to come up with a recipe for tomato soup..I have tried many and modified more until I figured out how to turn tomatoes from my garden into yummy tomato soup.

Tomato Soup
>
  • 4 cups tomato sauce
  • 2 cups chicken stock
  • 4 whole tomatoes blanched and peeled*
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
1. Add tomato sauce and chicken stock to a pan.

2. Put whole tomatoes in pot and crush with a spoon. Cook on med high for 25 minutes.

3. Add heavy cream and cook for 10 more minutes.

4. Eat and Enjoy

You may be saying to your self, "Michael this sounds delish but I don't have tomatoes from the garden or homemade tomato sauce. What do I do?"

Well you can substitute 4 cups tomato sauce for a 2 - 14oz cans of crushed tomatoes and the whole tomatoes for 1 -28oz can of whole tomatoes. Everything else is the same.

As is often the case in my life recently I got the idea for this from pinterest. Please check out the original recipe with is also very good from Everyday Occasions by Jenny Steffens Hobick.


*I have never blanched anything before I tried this recipe. Its actually a great way to perserve whole tomatoes for future use.

Here is what I did.

Blanching Whole Tomatoes
  1. Place tomatoes in a large pot with water.
  2. Bring to a boil and cook 15-20 minutes (until the skins start to fall off)
  3. Place into an ice bath (I just filled the sink with ice and water) for 10-15 minutes.
  4. Peel skins.
  5. Use immediately or preserve by canning or freezing.

If you like it share it

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...