Sunday, November 10, 2013

Making Pumpkin Puree and Buttermilk Pumpkin Pancake Recipe

Last week I talked about going overboard with making my own pumpkin puree and how I may have gone overboard. Many of you asked how did I do it?

During the process I had planned to take pictures but as usual my camera was no where to be found and all I go was one picture on my phone.

So here goes...

Pumpkin Puree

  • Whole pumpkins (if you can get organically and locally grown)
Directions

  1. Wash the outside of your pumpkins.
  2. Cut pumpkins in half and scoop out the guts.
  3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  4. Cut the pumpkin into manageable pieces. (I had HUGE pumpkins which involved lots of cutting.)
  5. Place pumpkins on a roasting pan (its okay to stack them just make sure the inside isn't completely covered.)
  6. Add 1 cup of water in the bottom of the roasting pan.
  7. Bake for about 45 minutes (this depends on the size of tour pumpkins).
  8. Remove form oven and cool for 20-30 minutes.
  9. Once they are cool enough to handle scrape the pumpkin from the shell.
  10. Puree in blender until you reach the desired consistency (this is optional)
  11. Freeze, can* or use your pumpkin.
  12. When freezing place one sup in a freezer safe bag, squeeze as much air out as possible, lay flat and freeze .
Now I know you are wondering that is awesome but that do you do with all that pumpkin puree?

Very good question and I don't have it all figured out ...yet. I did share some with my sister and mom.

The BF did make pumpkin pancakes one Sunday morning (yes we are that family that eats pancakes for breakfast). Everyone loved loved loved it so I am guessing we will have it again and again.

Buttermilk Pumpkin Pancakes

  • 3 cups buttermilk pancake mix
  • 2 cups cold water
  • 2/3 cup pureed pumpkin
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ginger
  • dash of nutmeg
  • dash of clove
Directions

  • Mix all the ingredients together.
  • Cook as you would any other pancakes.
I don't have a picture of these right now either. But this time its because the kids ate them so fast. It made about 12 pancakes.

*Check out this great post from For Dragonflies and Me about canning pumpkin.

If you like it share it

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...